Tuesday, March 6, 2012

 I listen to the wind
to the wind of my soul
Where I'll end up
well, I think only God really knows

I sat upon the setting sun
But never never never
I never wanted water once
No never, never, never

I listen to my words
but they fall far below
I let my music take me
where my heart wants to go

I swam upon the Devil's lake
but never never never
I'll never make the same mistake
No never never never
 The Wind
Cat Stevens

My sister is nine years older than me. I worshipped her. Our tastes - in anything - are no longer similar, but when I was a kid I tried to be her and emulated her look, her likes, and her dislikes. One of the many things I adopted from her was her musical tastes - Joni Mitchell, John Denver, The Beatles, Maria Muldaur, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and...Cat Stevens. We both loooooved his music. His words and music had a profound influence on the development of my soul. It helped that my choir director - who I had a huge crush on - could be Cat Stevens' twin brother!

Today it is incredibly windy here - garbage cans rolling down the street, trees breaking, difficult to walk against the wind. Looking out the window in my nice warm house, I watched the wind and this Cat Steven song filled my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment